It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Anderson taught at South High School in Denver from 1929-1956. She was an advocate for improved educational programs in the Denver area. Editorials, newspaper clippings and correspondence on public school controversies such as McCarthyism and school integration, assembled during A. Helen Anderson's tenure as Director of Publications for the Denver Public Schools.
Adolph ''Bud'' Mayer (1919-1999) came to the University of Denver in 1949 as a member of the Division of Public Relations and Development. With a background in journalism, broadcasting, and public relations, (cont.)
he was named Director of Public Relations. He held this position from 1954 to 1989, when he retired. The Adolph ''Bud'' Mayer papers contain awards, citations, correspondence, reports, speeches, newspaper clippings, photographs, publications, and financial information, highlighting his career at the University of Denver, Division of Public Relations and Development. There are also papers relating to the University of Denver Faculty Senate Meetings.
Alfred Clarence "Pete" Nelson served as interim Chancellor at the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado from 1948-1949. Alfred C. Nelson served as Interim Chancellor at the University of Denver, Denver, Colo. from 1948-1949. (cont.)
He also served as Professor of Chemistry (1923-1936), Registrar (1929-1937), Dean of Graduate College and Director Summer Session (1937-1948), Vice Chancellor (1949-1952), and Dean of Community College and Director of Summer Session (1951-1960). The majority of materials date from 1948-1949 when Nelson served as interim Chancellor at the University of Denve. Administration papers contain correspondence, annual reports, meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, speeches, photographs, memos, maps, periodicals and brochures. The scrapbooks contain newspaper and magazine clippings, programs, photographs from his days as a student at the University of Denver to his early career as a Chemistry Professor at the University.
Archie L. Threlkeld (1889 - 1967) was Assistant and Deputy Superintendent of the Denver Public Schools from 1921 to 1927 under Jesse H. Newlon. He was Superintendent of the Denver Public Schools for ten years, from 1927 to 1937. (cont.)
While Deputy Superintendent, A. L. Threlkeld directed the curriculum revision program which became internationally known. During the Great Depression, Threlkeld continued the school building program and successfully resisted cutting teachers' salaries.
She received her Master's Degree in speech pathology from the University of Denver, Denver, Colo. in 1943. She provided therapy service to children from her home. She started the Wallace School in 1948 with the assistance of businessman Henry Winter. In 1960, the Wallace School was renamed the Wallace Village for Children. As the founder and executive director of The Wallace Village for Children until her retirement in 1974, Wallace provided innovative treatment and rehabilitation to children with brain injuries and other disabilities. Wallace recognized the potential in every child. Over the years, she was recognized for her contributions to the field.
Colorado Women's College was conceived as a "Vassar of the West" by its founder, the Rev. Robert Cameron. Cameron was the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Denver. The college was incorporated in 1888, though it did not open its doors until 1909. (cont.)
Located in northeast Denver, the school changed its name in 1967 to Temple Buell College, after a Denver philanthropist who had announced plans to endow the school with a twenty five million dollar gift. However, before the gift could be realized, debts increased and enrollment fell. In 1973, the institution was renamed Colorado Women's College, and in 1982, it merged with the University of Denver.
The archives of Colorado Women's College contain trustee minutes and reports, financial records, scrapbooks, yearbooks, photographs and slides, audio tapes, and student publications such as the school newspaper, The Western Graphic.
The Senate is responsible for setting faculty personnel policies, including salary guidelines, sabbatical leave, faculty review and tenure. The Faculty Senate records consist of the working documents and administrative materials of the organization from its inception through 1999. The bulk of the collection consists of materials from the 1970's through the 1990's. Further accruals are expected. As the Faculty Senate is an active body of the University and continues to produce sensitive documentation, much of the collection is restricted. Only qualified researchers are permitted to review the records. Please contact the Curator of Special Collections & Archives directly for access permission.
In 1962, Gerard E. Mayer began working on his master's thesis on the history of the University of Denver from 1920 to 1940. In addition to the traditional sources of the university archives, newspapers and yearbooks, (cont.)
Mayer wrote to approximately 200 alumni from the pertinent years asking for their opinions on school spirit, relations between the students and faculty, and the lasting influence of faculty. He received 35 responses, which constitute this collection.
The letters vary greatly, as did the experiences of the students during their time at the University. Whether the respondent was an on-campus student or a day student affected their experience. The Great Depression had a serious impact on both students and the University during those years. Professors and chancellors were mentioned as having influence on both DU and the students. Several of the letters mention Ben Cherrington and the Social Science Foundation as adding an element of international interest to the campus. The letters are a good source of information on the student experience during the 1920's and 1930's.
The Higher Education Resource Services (HERS) was started in 1972 at Brown University to promote women in higher education administration, including providing assistance to women in career mapping, guidance, publishing, (cont.)
conference participation and other services. HERS originally operated as a referral and placement service for women in higher education, but since 2005 has provided professional development opportunities for professional academic women and serves as a network of support for women. HERS has three offices: HERS, Mid-America (located at the University of Denver since 1983); HERS, New England (at Wellesley College since 1976) and HERS, West (at the University of Utah). Beginning in 1976 HERS and Bryn Mawr College have co-sponsored a Summer Institute for Women in Higher Education Administration. Cynthia Secor has been director of the HERS Network since 1975 and is the founding Director of the Summer Institute for Women in Higher Education Administration and HERS, Mid-America.
Jesse H. Newlon (1882 - 1941) served as Superintendent of the Denver public schools from 1920 to 1927. During his tenure, Denver became nationally known for its innovations in public education. (cont.)
While Superintendent of the Denver public schools, Newlon oversaw the building of fifteen schools, created a program for curriculum revision in which classroom teachers were the key participants, and gained consensus for a single salary schedule for teachers, regardless of whether they taught in grade schools or high schools.
During his tenure he established the annual Publishing Institute and oversaw the construction of several buildings such as Penrose Library and the Shwayder Art Building. While he was Chancellor, Woodstock West, a student protest against the Vietnam War, was resolved. Prior to his arrival at the University, Mitchell was President of Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
Nursing education was part of the University of Denver curriculum off and on from 1930 to 1985. The University collaborated with a number of area hospitals to provide academic and practical training for nurses.