It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The National Anti-Defamation League (ADL) of B'nai B'rith was founded in 1913 by Sigmund Livingston, an Illinois lawyer and scholar. The purpose of the ADL is to fight prejudice and intolerance and to preserve the Jewish democratic heritage. (cont.)
A volunteer committee under the auspices of B'nai B'rith Lodge 171, (Denver, Colo.), led by Simon Heller, preceded the establishment of the formal organization of the Anti-Defamation League, Mountain States Regional office. This committee represented every facet of Jewish life in the community. The formal organization of the ADL was established in 1941 as the tri-state office of the ADL, with Harold Saks as the first director. The purpose of the Denver chapter was to work toward the elimination of discrimination in employment, housing, accommodations and education.
Claudius B. Spencer was a Methodist Episcopal minister and editor of the Central Christian Advocate, the official newspaper of the Methodist Episcopal Church for the High Plains and Rocky Mountain Region. (cont.)
Spencer collected include correspondence, manuscripts and newspaper clippings concerning Mormonism and the Methodist response to the Mormon Church. The collection includes letters, newspaper and journal clippings, reports, typescript pages and handwritten notes, in addition to an unsigned manuscript entitled, Holiness and Mormonism.
He lived in Denver, Colorado from 1896-1912. Pinkham was ordained a Baptist minister but joined the American Unitarian Association in 1912. His outspoken opposition to U.S. involvement in World War I led him to join the Fellowship of Reconciliation. He also served as secretary of the Association to Abolish War from 1920-1927. The Association was a pacifist group committed to standing firm against the "preparedness" movement of the times. The papers include the writings and correspondence of Henry Winn Pinkham that relate to his anti-war activities along with biographical materials on Pinkham and his wife, Wenona Osborne Pinkham.
This fraternal organization received a charter from the National Order of B'nai B'rith on April 7, 1872. David Kline was the first president and Louis Anfenger was the first secretary. Charles M. Schayer served as president in 1876.
The B'nai B'rith Denver Chapter created Colorado's Anti-Defamation League, the Mountain States Hillel Foundation, and the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization (BBYO). One of the largest projects of the Denver B'nai B'rith was the establishment of the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives in 1899. The Denver B'nai B'rith continues to be a major Denver organization.
The Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society was known as the JCRS and was founded in Denver, Colorado in 1904 as a non-sectarian sanatorium to treat tuberculosis (TB) patients, free of charge, in all stages of the disease. (cont.)
The society was one of the leading tuberculosis sanatoria in the country at the turn of the century founded by a group of immigrant Eastern European Jewish men, many of whom were themselves victims of TB. Headed by Dr. Charles Spivak as Secretary (1904-1927)and by Dr. Philip Hillkowitz as President (1904-1948), sanatorium treated primarily Jewish patients (notably, Solomon Bloomgarden who served as publicity chairman). In 1954 institution changed its mission to cancer research and became American Medical Center; in 1970's renamed AMC Cancer Research Center and Hospital. Today known as AMC Cancer Research Center. Records highlight tuberculosis treatment, immigration and acculturation, and the growth and development of Colorado's Jewish community. The collection includes correspondence, patient records, legal & financial records, scrapbooks, visitor registers, periodicals, minutes, committee reports, newspaper clippings, sound discs, and photographs.
In 1927, Milton Schayer, a prominent Denver businessman and community leader, wrote to a number of Nobel Prize-winning scientists, literary figures, university presidents and judges inquiring about their views on religion and science. (cont.)
He expressed a concern that college students of the day were “drifting away from all religious impulses,” and that this notion was based on “a seeming conflict between the discoveries of scientists and the claims of religionists.” Given the in-depth scientific studies and life experience of these prominent figures, he wished to know their ideas on the subject, for possible publication. Most of the correspondents either did not want their views published, or referred Schayer to writings on the matter which were already published.
The Milton Schayer Collection at the University of Denver Archives contains the responses that Schayer received to his inquiry, original hand-written and typewritten letters as well as transcriptions and translations. The collection also contains an article written by University of Denver Professor George Barany describing the collection at length, an article concerning the letter in the collection by Max Planck, and the correspondence associated with these two articles.
The book covers Jewish history, people and organizations in Colorado. The papers relate to the writing of the book, Exploring Jewish Colorado, and include correspondence, questionnaires, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, manuscript drafts, galley proofs, photocopies of photographs and illustrations from the book, and a computer disk. Newspaper clippings cover Jewish synagogues in Colorado, as well as the Guldman, Friedman and Londoner families.