It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
May also served as chair of the Department of Economics and the Division of Social Sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences, as well as chair of the Division of Economics and Statistics in the College of Business Administration. He was Coordinator of the Department of Transportation and Head of the Division of Administrative Environment in the College of Business Administration. He directed the Teaching Institute of Economics. His papers reflect his personal business arrangements and consist of applications, correspondence, contracts, ration books, newspaper clippings, and photographs.
As a management consultant, he lectured on training for supervisors and executive development. Carroll C. Halterman's papers primarily cover his management consulting work with businesses and include articles, decals, transparencies, case studies, manuals, checklists, bibliographies, conference proceedings, class notes, student papers, and student worksheets.
He began his law career in Denver, Colorado and was Professor of Law at Howard University School of Law from 1946-1955. He also served as Special Assistant to the Solicitor of Labor, 1956-1959; Director of the Office of Regulations at the Bureau of Labor-Management Reports, 1959-1962; and Assistant Commissioner of the Bureau, 1962-1963. Jenkins concentrated on eliminating racial discrimination in labor unions and establishing national labor policy that held discrimination on basis of sex or race was unfair labor practice. He was instrumental in drafting and passing the "Landrum-Griffin" Act of 1959, a labor reform document known as "Employees' Bill of Rights." The papers contain correspondence, speeches, oral history transcripts, journals, journal articles, newspaper clippings, books, reports, notebooks, congressional hearings, certificates, diplomas, plaques, photographs, and memorabilia primarily covering Jenkins' service on the U.S. National Labor Relations Board.
J. Fagg Foster (1907-1985) was Professor of Economics at the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado, from 1946 until 1985. He served as Director of Industrial Relations Analysis for the Federal Wage Stabilization Board, (cont.)
Region 11 from 1951 to 1952. The collection contains material both from his academic career and from his work on the Wage Stabilization Board and includes correspondence, transcripts, class notes, lectures, speeches, journal articles, lecture tapes (cassette and reel-to-reel.)
Leopold H. Guldman (1853-1936) founded the Golden Eagle Dry Goods Company of Denver in 1879, eight years after his arrival from his native Germany. He was one of Colorado's leading pioneer merchants and philanthropists. (cont.)
By the late 1870s he had come to the Colorado mountains in search of silver, but found it more profitable to open the Golden Eagle Clothing stores in Leadville and Cripple Creek, Colorado. In 1879, he moved to Denver and opened the third and most successful Golden Eagle store. This store was Denver's leading popular-price department store for many years. His vigorous advertising campaigns, combined with an aggressive policy of buying and selling for cash only, soon established record sales for him. The rapid growth of the Golden Eagle necessitated continual expansion and remodeling. By 1901, its five-story building occupied most of the block at 16th and Lawrence Streets. The store was closed and the stock liquidated upon Guldman's death in 1936. He donated the first Jewish Community Center, helped found Temple Emanuel, National Jewish Hospital, Beth Israel Hospital, and was a key figure in numerous other charitable endeavors. The records of the Golden Eagle were transferred by Deed of Gift from the University of Colorado Norlin Library to the Beck Archives in 1994. It represents all phases of the company's diversification, including general accounts, purchased and receiving records, sales and shipping records, etc. Although a few of the records extend back into the 1880's, most of the material covers the period from 1900 to 1936. The records are reflective of Denver's economic growth during that period.
A combined venture of the College of Arts and Science, the College of Business Administration and the College of Engineering, the School offered a 5-year bachelor degree with minors in Architecture, Physical Planning, Architectural Construction and Interior Design. Professor Carl Feiss was the first director. By 1952, the School had not applied for accreditation and had competition from the newly opened School of Architecture at the University of Colorado. The University of Denver school closed at the end of the academic year in 1952, having graduated less than 100 students. The records contain brochures, bulletins, correspondence, reports, course descriptions, lists of applicants and degree candidates, meeting minutes and memos from the Architectural Advisory Committee, and material on the formation and closing of the School from 1946 to 1952.
The Sender Collection contains books, serial publications, government documents, and archival materials documenting the legislation and laws surrounding intermodal transportation in the United States from the mid-1950s through the early 1990s. (cont.)
Much of the collection consists of congressional hearings, committee prints, reports, and agency publications.
The archival materials include Sender's notebooks, which document the legislative histories of transportation and interstate commerce bills. The issues covered by these bills include railroads, motor carriers, buses, airlines, ocean vessels, regulation, and deregulation.
The Fashion Bar began as a hosiery shop established by Jack Levy in 1933 and managed by his sister Hannah Levy. Born in Haigerloch, Germany, both Hannah, Jack with their brother Edward, emigrated to America in the 1920s.
Jack started as a traveling salesman and Hannah as a shop girl in Denver, Colorado working for Neusteter's Department Store, before opening their own store which evolved into the Fashion Bar Corporation. Despite the Great Depression, the enterprise flourished and within three years it grew to five clothing stores that were later named Fashion Bar. In 1940, Jack and Hannah Levy bought out their partner and took full control of the business. They brought William Weil on board as manager and later he became president of the company. Records of the Fashion Bar include scrapbooks, photographs, newspaper clippings, drawings, financial records, memorabilia and correspondence.
The Judd Family papers trace the beginnings of the Judd Construction Company under Abraham Judelowitz who arrived in Denver in the 1880s and was instrumental in the building of the first Beth haMedrosh (BMH) Synagogue. (cont.)
His son, Samuel Judd was born in Denver in 1892 and served as chief of the Structural-Architectural Section of the Bureau of Reclamation in the 1940's and was Denver Building Inspector in 1963. Samuel Judd helped build the first Hebrew Educational Alliance Building and the Gaylord Street BMH building. Records focus on the Judd Construction Company founded in 1949 under Edmund James Judd. The collection primarily centers on the Judd Construction Company job files on major building projects in Denver from 1950 through 1991. Judd was also a founder and past president of Historic Denver, Inc. The papers of the Judd Family and the Judd Corporation concentrate on the construction industry in Denver, Colorado. Includes legal documents, advertising, financial statements, checkbooks, bids on construction jobs, blueprints, correspondence, diaries, newspaper clippings, photographs, an audiotape, appointment books, and scrapbooks.