Congregation Emanuel Records
Congregation Emanuel, the oldest synagogue in Colorado, was founded in Denver by a group of mostly German Jewish immigrants. At a meeting in 1874, members of the congregation decided to draft a constitution and incorporate the congregation as an institution of Reform Judaism. Rabbi Samuel Weil became the congregation's first rabbi in 1876; he served the congregation for only a year and was followed by a number of rabbis whose terms were short-lived. Rabbi William S. Friedman became the spiritual leader of Temple Emanuel in 1889 and led the congregation for nearly 50 years. The Sisterhood of Temple Emanuel originated as the Ladies' Sewing Society, in 1915 changed its name to the Ladies' Auxiliary, and became the Sisterhood of Temple Emanuel in 1915. Congregation Emanuel is still active today and its current synagogue is located at 51 Grape Street. The collection consists of Congregation Emanuel records, the Sisterhood and Brotherhood records, and the Emanuel cemetery records.