It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Louis Anfenger was typical of the young Jewish men who migrated to the Colorado Territory in the state's formative years. Born in Bavaria, Anfenger came to the United States in the 1850s and moved to Denver in 1870 to seek his fortune. He became a highly successful businessman in the area of real estate as well as a member of the Denver Chamber of Commerce and was later elected to the state legislature in the 1880s. He was a founder of Congregation Emanuel, Denver B'nai B'rith, and National Jewish Hospital. He married Louise Schlesinger Anfenger, and the couple became the parents of eight children, who later also became leaders in the Denver community. His eldest son Milton became a lawyer and a Colorado State Senator in 1904, and his daughter Flora married prominent Denver attorney Philip Hornbein. The collection includes Louis Anfenger's diary and clothing, needlework, household accessories, furniture, and memorabilia belonging to various members of the extended Anfenger family.
Milton Anfenger was an attorney, Colorado state senator, humanitarian, and civic leader in Denver. He graduated from East Denver High School in 1892. He attended Stanford University and graduated with a L.L.B. in 1895. At Stanford, he was a classmate and roommate of Herbert Hoover. Milton Anfenger was admitted to the Colorado Bar Association in 1897. Colonel Milton Louis Anfenger was an aide-de-camp to Colorado Governor James H. Peabody and militia Brigadier General Sherman M. Bell during Colorado's response to the 1903-1904 strike in the Cripple Creek Mining District. Anfenger was elected to the Colorado State Senate in 1904 and served during the fifteenth and sixteenth Colorado general assemblies. He was married to Essie Wolfshon in 1911. A member of Elks Lodge #17, he was elected Exalted Ruler in 1913. He was a member of B'nai B'rith Lodge #171 and served as president for the local lodge as well as treasurer and president of the District Grand Lodge. He was an organizer of the Allied Jewish Council and was active in the Central Jewish Council, Central Jewish Aid Society, and Treasurer of the United Health Appeal Board of the Allied Council. He also served as editor of a Denver newspaper, ''Jewish News'' that concentrated on the activities of the Jewish community in Denver. Anfenger was President of the Denver Bears baseball team from 1923-1932. He was Treasurer of Beth Israel Hospital and President of the National Jewish Hospital Board from 1945-1952. A member of several civic organizations, he was also actively involved in the National Guard, Masons, Odd Fellows, Denver Chamber of Commerce, board member of the Green Gables Country Club, and organizer of the Sons of Colorado. Milton L. Anfenger died December 9, 1952.
The material in the collection includes items, photographs, and papers related to Dorothy Bercu Gross and her husband Norman Gross, her extended family, and her Vaudeville career in the 1920s and 1930s. Her father owned the Chicago Hide, Fur and Wool Company in Douglas, Wyoming and Denver, Colorado. The collection spans from the late 1800s to 2015 and illustrates an extended Jewish family and vaudeville performers.
Her father and his brothers were businessmen who owned and operated apparel stores in Aspen, including the Kobey Shoe and Clothing Company. After she graduated from Aspen High School, Dorothy Kobey taught at a county school in Cow Creek, Colorado, outside Steamboat Springs. She moved to Denver, Colorado with her siblings in 1924 to attend the University of Denver after receiving a scholarship to the school. In 1927 she married Nathan Berry, a salesman who worked at her uncle's downtown Denver business, the Kobey Shoe Store. The papers document Jewish family life in Aspen, Colorado during the early 1900s. The papers contain newspaper and magazine articles, 1 photographic print, family tree charts and a CD-ROM that contains digitized photographs and digitized printed materials, including U.S. census records. The Dorothy (Dokes) Kobey Berry Papers document the growth of businesses in Colorado mountain towns and Jewish social life and customs in Aspen, Colorado during the early 1900s. The Kobey families were among the dozen or so Jewish families in the close-knit mining town of Aspen when Dokes Kobey was growing up. This collection documents Jewish family life, with an emphasis on the lives of Jewish women, in Aspen, Colorado in the early 1900s. Dokes Kobey Berry died in Denver on February 24, 2009.
Arthur Losos Esserman, M.D. was a prominent Denver pediatrician. He was born January 24, 1898 in St. Louis, Missouri and died in Denver, Colorado on June 18, 1952. He was an intern at Children's Hospital in Denver from 1924 to 1926 and practiced pediatric medicine in Denver from 1926 to 1952. He was a partner of Dr. Emanual Friedman, who was a early pediatrician and Dr. Esserman's mentor. Dr. Esserman initiated one of Denver's first medical buildings. He was also on the staff at Children's Hospital. He married Pauline Rothbaum and they had one son, Paul Esserman. The collection includes a medical bag, instruments, a prescription blank, diplomas, testimonials, photographs, and leather notebooks with symptoms and treatments from Dr. Esserman's practice from 1924 to 1952.
Joyce Foster served as a member of the Denver City Council in Denver, Colorado from 1993-2003 representing District 4. She was the first Jewish woman to sit on the City Council and served as City Council President from 2001 to 2002. (cont.)
She worked on Skate Park and the University Hills Mall renovation. Prior to being elected to City Council, Foster was director of resource development for the Jewish Family and Children's Service from 1977 to 1993. Her husband, Steven Foster, became the longtime rabbi of Denver's Congregation Emanuel. City Councilwoman Joyce Foster's papers highlight her political career from 1993-2003 and include correspondence, newspaper clippings, newsletters, council resolutions, campaign literature, certificates, architectural drawings, and photographs.
Leopold H. Guldman (1853-1936) founded the Golden Eagle Dry Goods Company of Denver in 1879, eight years after his arrival from his native Germany. He was one of Colorado's leading pioneer merchants and philanthropists. (cont.)
By the late 1870s he had come to the Colorado mountains in search of silver, but found it more profitable to open the Golden Eagle Clothing stores in Leadville and Cripple Creek, Colorado. In 1879, he moved to Denver and opened the third and most successful Golden Eagle store. This store was Denver's leading popular-price department store for many years. His vigorous advertising campaigns, combined with an aggressive policy of buying and selling for cash only, soon established record sales for him. The rapid growth of the Golden Eagle necessitated continual expansion and remodeling. By 1901, its five-story building occupied most of the block at 16th and Lawrence Streets. The store was closed and the stock liquidated upon Guldman's death in 1936. He donated the first Jewish Community Center, helped found Temple Emanuel, National Jewish Hospital, Beth Israel Hospital, and was a key figure in numerous other charitable endeavors. The records of the Golden Eagle were transferred by Deed of Gift from the University of Colorado Norlin Library to the Beck Archives in 1994. It represents all phases of the company's diversification, including general accounts, purchased and receiving records, sales and shipping records, etc. Although a few of the records extend back into the 1880's, most of the material covers the period from 1900 to 1936. The records are reflective of Denver's economic growth during that period.
Anna Ginsberg was born in 1893 to East European immigrants D'vera and Max Ginsberg, who had settled in New York City in the late 19th century. Anna Ginsberg completed high school in New York and moved to Denver shortly thereafter, in 1910. She lived with her family on Denver's west side, where they were actively involved in the orthodox immigrant Jewish community. In 1912 she married Morris Hayutin, who was the son of Russian Jewish immigrants and the owner of the Western Supply Company (he would later own Public Industrial Bank). Anna and Morris Hayutin had three children: Peryle (1915-2006), Irving, and Arthur. The collection contains household and personal items, early to mid-20th century, that belonged to Anna Ginsberg Hayutin. Most of the textiles in the collection were created by Anna herself and include a large number of table linens, bed linens, and doilies. Women's hats also feature prominently in the collection, and other items include collars, an ivory woman's toiletry set, women's jewelry, a jewelry box, three photo lapel pins, Anna's high school graduation autograph album, and a dictionary.
The Judd Family papers trace the beginnings of the Judd Construction Company under Abraham Judelowitz who arrived in Denver in the 1880s and was instrumental in the building of the first Beth haMedrosh (BMH) Synagogue. (cont.)
His son, Samuel Judd was born in Denver in 1892 and served as chief of the Structural-Architectural Section of the Bureau of Reclamation in the 1940's and was Denver Building Inspector in 1963. Samuel Judd helped build the first Hebrew Educational Alliance Building and the Gaylord Street BMH building. Records focus on the Judd Construction Company founded in 1949 under Edmund James Judd. The collection primarily centers on the Judd Construction Company job files on major building projects in Denver from 1950 through 1991. Judd was also a founder and past president of Historic Denver, Inc. The papers of the Judd Family and the Judd Corporation concentrate on the construction industry in Denver, Colorado. Includes legal documents, advertising, financial statements, checkbooks, bids on construction jobs, blueprints, correspondence, diaries, newspaper clippings, photographs, an audiotape, appointment books, and scrapbooks.
He served as Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of University of Colorado Medical School, and conducted research at the Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research. He was instrumental in founding the Neighborhood Health Program in 1965. He was manager of the Denver Department of Health and Hospitals and also served as director of Davis Institute for the Care and Study of the Aging. From 1980-1981, he managed New York City Health and Hospitals Corp. He was named Goodstein Professor of Medicine and Geriatrics at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, He also served as President of Denver Club. In 1987 the Kauvar Foundation, which specializes in health care needs of the elderly was established in his honor. He was the son of Rabbi Charles E.H. Kauvar, a Denver religious leader.
The Fashion Bar began as a hosiery shop established by Jack Levy in 1933 and managed by his sister Hannah Levy. Born in Haigerloch, Germany, both Hannah, Jack with their brother Edward, emigrated to America in the 1920s. (cont.)
Jack started as a traveling salesman and Hannah as a shop girl in Denver, Colorado working for Neusteter's Department Store, before opening their own store which evolved into the Fashion Bar Corporation. Despite the Great Depression, the enterprise flourished and within three years it grew to five clothing stores that were later named Fashion Bar. In 1940, Jack and Hannah Levy bought out their partner and took full control of the business. They brought William Weil on board as manager and later he became president of the company. Records of the Fashion Bar include scrapbooks, photographs, newspaper clippings, drawings, financial records, memorabilia and correspondence.
Collection contains the papers of Ira M. Beck, the Peryle Beck and Hayutin Family Papers, the Simui Family Papers and the Central Electric Records. Materials included in each series are correspondence, scrapbooks, publications, programs, photographs and ephemera from 1916-1970.
Frances Wisebart Jacobs, born in 1843, earned the nickname "Mother of Charities" because of her many efforts to assist the poor, the homeless, and the disenfranchised. She joined or helped to found charitable organizations and events in Denver, Colorado, and at the national level, and she was instrumental in raising support for the construction of Jewish Hospital in 1892. The collection consists of clothing that belonged to Jacobs and to a relative and contemporary of hers. Also included in the collection are papers about Frances Wisebart Jacobs and her husband, Abraham Jacobs, as well as two framed photographs.
Bela and Kate Fried, Hungarian immigrants, opened their picture framing business in Denver, Colorado in 1898. Fried's Picture Frame Factory was the first framing store in Denver, Colorado. Bela Fried had tuberculosis and died in Denver in 1900. Kate Fried and her brother-in-law opened Fried's Art and Gift Shop in 1903 at 1444 Stout Street in Denver. Many of the Fried family were in involved in operating the store throughout the years, including the three Fried sisters, Mary, Bertha, and Sally. The store sold high-quality porcelain, gift boxes, and other items imported from all over the world. The store closed in 1983 after Sally Fried, who inherited the store from her sisters Mary Fried and Bertha Fried Kleiner in the mid-1970s, opted to shut down after the location at 1437 Welton Street was sold. The Fried Family Papers consist of correspondence, clippings, memorabilia relating to the Fried family and Fried's Art and Gift Shop and an embroidered slipper belonging to Sally Fried.
May Arno Schwatt was born in Pltava, Russia to Saul and Chaya Shamus Charsky. May Arno Charsky immigrated to America in the 1880s and developed an interest in singing and acting. Under the stage name May Arno, she traveled as an actress and singer with a theater company in the early years of the twentieth century. May Charsky married Dr. Herman Schwatt in New York City (NY), who served as the Medical Superintendent of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society from 1910 to 1915 and a few years after Dr. Spivak's death in 1927. While in Denver May Arno Schwatt opened a dramatic school for children, wrote articles, and performed at many functions in the Denver community. The scrapbooks contain articles and correspondence, primarily about May Arno's performances.
Norma Shirley Peterman (1922-1941) was the only child of Sophie (nee Miller) and Joseph Peterman and the niece of Irene (nee Miller) Stein. Norma Peterman grew up in Denver, Colorado, and died at the early age of eighteen on December 9, 1941. She was in hospitals for treatment for an ulcerated leg after she broke her leg at the age of fifteen and died of a staph infection she contracted at the Mayo Clinic. The collection contains clothing and accessories worn by or belonging to Norma Shirley Peterman (1922-1941) as well as papers by or about her. The clothing includes baby shoes as well as a dress and two slips that would have been worn by Peterman when she was a small child. Three fans make up the rest of the non-textual items. The papers in the collection include two essays written by Peterman as well as condolence letters and cards addressed to her parents, Sophie and Joseph Peterman, and her aunt Irene Stein (1894-2000) shortly after Norma Peterman's death in 1941.
Pencol Drug Store was owned and operated by pharmacist and businessman Azriel Stein, who was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Located at the corner of Pennsylvania Street and Colfax Avenue, and opening in the 1930s, Pencol Drug was a fixture on the Denver landscape for several decades. In addition to dispensing prescriptions and selling over the counter medications, the store featured a popular soda and ice cream fountain and gift section. Stein was married to Irene Miller Stein, a noted Denver artist and daughter of Robert Lazar Miller, who moved to Colorado from Lithuania in 1881 and developed a ranching and meat business. The collection includes object, memorabilia, and documents relating to Pencol Drug Store.
Milton M. Schayer was born in Denver, Colorado, in 1876 to German-Jewish parents and died in Denver in 1935. In 1920 he founded the Bankers Building and Loan Association, and served as its first president and treasurer. His son Charles Milton Schayer, born in 1913, married Faye Greenberg in 1941. Milton M. Schayer was active in many civic and religious organizations. He was director of the Denver Chamber of Commerce, which designated him Denver’s “most valuable citizen” in 1925. He was an active member of Temple Emanuel, president of the Central Jewish Aid Society, and president of the Denver Lodge of the Independent Order of B’nai B’rith. Charles M. Schayer was also active in many organizations and was president of the National Asthma Center from 1975 to 1978. The papers include newspaper articles, a genealogical history of the Simon Cohen family, and commendations and awards to Milton and Charles Schayer.
Sophie Miller Peterman was born in 1900 in Denver, Colorado. She was the daughter of Lithuanian immigrants Anna and Robert Lazar Miller, who were pioneers of Denver's Jewish community. In about 1920, Sophie Miller married Joseph (Joe) Peterman, and they had a daughter named Norma. Sophie Peterman died in Denver in 1986. The collection consists of one ivory satin wedding gown worn by Sophie Peterman on her wedding day. The collection consists of one ivory satin wedding gown worn by Sophie Peterman on her wedding day. The gown has a waist drape, capped chiffon sleeves, and a cotton petersham waistband.
The Striker family is a Denver Jewish family descended from the Jacobson, Fine, and Fishman families. The collection consists of religious materials that belonged to the Striker family or its ancestors. Materials include a tallit and bag, leather tefillin and accompanying bag, a machzor (or prayer book) circa 1909, and a Hebrew Bible. The collection consists of materials that belonged to the Striker family or its ancestors. Materials include an ivory silk tallit (also referred to as a tallis), a tan cotton tallit bag, leather tefillin for the head and hand and an accompanying black bag, a Rosh Hashanah machzor (or prayer book) given to Esther Fishman Striker on her wedding day in 1909, and a Hebrew Bible with a mother-of-pearl cover.
Special Collections at the University of Denver is located in Room 101 on the lower level of the Anderson Academic Commons.