It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This collection spans the rise and fall of the Nazi Regime in Berlin, Germany through the experience of Holocaust survivors, the Lowenstein family. It continues to document their immigration and settlement in Denver, Colorado after WWII ended.
Pioneer impresario Arthur M. Oberfelder was born in Nebraska but came to Denver after graduating college in 1913. He married Denver native Hazel Marx at Temple Emanuel. By 1917, he'd organized his own concert management company. The Oberfelder Concert Series operated every year until Oberfelder’s death in 1954.
The Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society was known as the JCRS and was founded in Denver, Colorado in 1904 as a non-sectarian sanatorium to treat tuberculosis (TB) patients, free of charge, in all stages of the disease. (cont.)
The society was one of the leading tuberculosis sanatoria in the country at the turn of the century founded by a group of immigrant Eastern European Jewish men, many of whom were themselves victims of TB. Headed by Dr. Charles Spivak as Secretary (1904-1927)and by Dr. Philip Hillkowitz as President (1904-1948), sanatorium treated primarily Jewish patients (notably, Solomon Bloomgarden who served as publicity chairman). In 1954 institution changed its mission to cancer research and became American Medical Center; in 1970's renamed AMC Cancer Research Center and Hospital. Today known as AMC Cancer Research Center. Records highlight tuberculosis treatment, immigration and acculturation, and the growth and development of Colorado's Jewish community. The collection includes correspondence, patient records, legal & financial records, scrapbooks, visitor registers, periodicals, minutes, committee reports, newspaper clippings, sound discs, and photographs.
Search for information on a specific patient, or browse all the patient records. A patient inquiry may be done by clicking on a name in an alphabetical list of the patients or through a searchable database.
it was called the National Home for Jewish Children in Denver; from 1953-1956, it was the Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children in Denver; from 1957-1972, it was the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital (CARIH); and from 1973-1977, it became the National Asthma Center. In 1978, it merged with the National Jewish Hospital to become the National Jewish Hospital/National Asthma Center. It started as a residential treatment facility for children with intractable asthma and became a research hospital. The National Asthma Center records include the By-laws, correspondence, memorandums, newspaper clippings, meeting minutes, publications, charts, speeches, financial statements, photographs and miscellaneous materials.
In 1899, the Jewish community erected National Jewish Hospital (NJH), the first sanatorium in Denver, Colorado for tuberculosis victims. With the financial assistance of the International Order of B'nai B'rith, (cont.)
the hospital served Jews and gentiles alike and accepted indigent patients free of charge. The NJH adopted a program that emphasized the benefits of fresh air, good nutrition, and rest. Some of the physicians associated with the hospital included Dr. Saling Simon, Dr. Robert Levy, and Dr. John Elsner. The collection includes correspondence, limited patient records, minutes, financial statements, reports, scrapbooks, and objects from 1899 to 2007. Non-sectarian sanatorium for treatment of tuberculosis opened in 1899 in Denver, Colo. Patients from all over the U.S. were admitted free of charge. With the assistance of the national B'nai B'rith fraternal organization, the hospital was founded by group of Jewish residents of Denver who were of German descent. Early founders included Frances Wisebart Jacobs and Rabbi William Friedman of Denver's Congregation Emmanual. Samuel Grabfelder served as president from 1899-1920; Seraphine Pisko was executive secretary from 1911-1938. In 1997 the organization changed its name to National Jewish Medical and Research Center and focused on lung, allergic and immune diseases. Meeting minutes, annual reports, correspondence, limited patient records, financial records, scrapbooks, photographs and sound discs cover tuberculosis treatment, medical history, immigration and acculturation, Colorado's Jewish community and women's history.
Collection contains a mounted Rocky Mountain Empire Magazine page, 1948, a laminated sheet music ''The Ballad of Otto Mears,'' photocopies of ''Western States Jewish Historical Quarterly," correspondence from Kankakee Federal Savings, and newspaper clippings from London Jewish Chronicle 1979. Also an Otto Mears silver filigree railroad pass for the Rio Grande Southern and Silverton railroads.
Collection contains board of trustee's minutes, committee minutes, reports, AMC By-laws, name plates, posters, publications, programs, photographs, and scrapbooks related to the AMC Cancer Research Center from 1957 through 2012. The American Medical Center is the successor to JCRS. Additionally, some older material relating to JCRS is also in the collection dating back to 1904.
General Rose Memorial Hospital was founded in 1945. The hospital was named for General Maurice Rose, a Denver native, who had been killed in action the same year. General Rose was the highest ranking American officer killed in action in Europe and also the highest ranking Jewish officer in the Army. The hospital was intended to “serve the need of every creed.”
The records highlight fundraising related to the hospital foundation through photographs, programs and other event ephemera. Several recorded interviews and television programs as well as published texts provide and in-depth history of the organization. The collection includes ephemera, publications, scrapbooks, donation ledgers, photographs, newspaper clippings and audio-visual materials.
Special Collections at the University of Denver is located in Room 101 on the lower level of the Anderson Academic Commons.