It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
A current directory of repositories and collections of primary source material across the United States.
Local Archival Collections of Primary Sources
A Circle of Sisters/A Circle of Friends Collection
Contact Special Collections & Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-871-3428). A Circle of Sisters / A Circle of Friends is a coalition of women who served as civilians with various organizations in Vietnam and throughout Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. (cont.)
Established in 1996, the idea for the collection came about after Jolynne Stang and Cathleen Cordova, both of whom served in Vietnam, gathered information on civilian women who had lost their lives during that conflict. Strang and Cordova also organized a national ceremony to recognize all women who had served as civilians in Vietnam and to honor those women who had died. The first ceremony was held on November 10, 1993 at The Wall in Washington, D.C.
The Alexander M. Richmond Papers cover the activities of Main Line Lodge, No. 146, Denver, Colorado, of the Brotherhood Railway Carmen of American during the years he was particularly active in the lodge, 1940-1951. (cont.)
Members of the local lodge worked as painters, carmen, carpenters, painter helpers, upholsterers, or coach cleaners.
Topics covered in detail are union activities during World War II, labor relations in the postwar period, jurisdictional disputes with other unions, concerns for safety, and contract violations. Extensive correspondence was carried on with national union officials and copies of letters sent as well as replies received are included.
Margaret (Peggy) Shippen Arnold (1760-1804) was the second wife of Benedict Arnold, with whom he had five children. Though her involvement in her husband's treason against the United States and association with the British is not clear, (cont.)
she did move the family with him to England and then to Canada and finally back to England where they lived in exile. Benedict Arnold died in 1801 and Margaret provided for her family, managing business affairs for her children and also his children from a previous marriage. The Arnold Family papers contain correspondence between members of the Benedict Arnold Family; receipts, legal papers, as well as correspondence relating to their business affairs and land ownership in Canada; also includes biographical notes and journal articles about Margaret Shippen Arnold; passport; samples of Benedict Arnold's hair.
The collection consists of oral histories by residents of the University Park neighborhood in Denver, Colorado and recount life in the south Denver neighborhood from early 1900 to the mid-1980s (cont.)
as part of 14-year old Barry Matchett's 1986 Eagle Scout project. Residents relate the history of University Park including the trolley that served the area, grocery stores and holiday celebrations. The subdivision was platted in 1892 and the University of Denver moved to its University Park Campus in the early 1890s. University Park School, part of the Arapahoe County School District, was built in 1893 on the corner of East Iliff Avenue and South St. Paul Street. In 1894 the Chamberlin Observatory was dedicated at Observatory Park on the corner of East Warren Avenue and South Fillmore Street. University Park Methodist Church was located at South University Boulevard and East Warren Avenue.
Gates was named Chancellor at the University in 1941. At the age of 37, he was the youngest chancellor in the University's history. In 1943, Gates received a leave of absence from the University to join the army during WWII with the rank of major. He was stationed first in England with the American Military Government and then as an attaché to the American Ambassador in Belgrade, Yugoslavia. His duties included handling prisoners of war and displaced persons.
Edwin Carl Johnson served as a member of the Colorado House of Representatives, Colorado State Senate. He also served three terms as Governor of the State of Colorado from 1933-1937 and again from 1955-1957 (cont.)
as well as three terms as a member of the U.S. Senate representing Colorado from 1937-1955. His legislative expertise in the area of water law and policy led to his appointment as the Colorado representative to the Upper Colorado River Commission. The main task of the Commission was to protect the rights of states to a fair share of the water from the Colorado River. The Colorado River Storage Project fostered water conservation and water allocation. He crafted the legislation that governs the use and availability of Colorado River water to Colorado as well as other states.
The scrapbooks are dated; however, the individual clippings are not consistently dated or identified as to source. The clippings were probably taken from the two Denver newspapers, The Rocky Mountain News and The Denver Post. In addition to stories on the progress of the war, the scrapbooks contain political cartoons, editorials and commentaries on subjects ranging from how the war was managed to the effectiveness of the American allies. The scrapbooks cover the period from the beginning of hostilities in Europe, sparked by the September 1, 1939 invasion of Poland by the Germans. America's entry into the war following the Pearl Harbor attack of December 7, 1941, is covered in scrapbook 32. The scrapbooks extend beyond the end of the war in 1945 to cover the establishment of the United Nations and the Nuremburg Trials.
Gertrude Dienst Papers
Gertrude Grabowsky Dienst (Mrs. George Dienst) headed the American Red Cross Production Unit and War Service of the Denver Turner's Auxiliary for the Denver Federation of Federated Women's Clubs. (cont.)
She organized the auxiliary to send relief packages overseas during World War II. The papers include letters from civilians living in postwar Germany to the American Red Cross Production Unit and War Service of the Denver Turner's Auxiliary asking for assistance. The collection also includes thank you notes, correspondence, a print draft of an oral history interview with Gertrude G. Dienst and a history of the Auxiliary.
Over the years, the group targeted downward trends in the community and offered solutions through community education. The members also assisted in zoning regulation. The Park Hill records contain correspondence, memos, meeting minutes, committee reports, and proposals.
Henry Augustus Buchtel served as Chancellor of the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado from 1899-1920. He started his career as a Methodist minister; served as pastor of Trinity Methodist Church, Denver. (cont.)
During his tenure at the University of Denver, he raised funds to cover the University's debt, doubled student enrollment, and oversaw the construction of the Library (funded by Andrew Carnegie), the Gymnasium, Science Hall, and Memorial Chapel (later named Buchtel Chapel). He also served as Governor of the State of Colorado from 1907-1909, while continuing to serve as Chancellor of the University. The Collection includes correspondence, day books, address books, photographs, a baby book, memorial programs, and scrapbooks as well as a silver bowl and vase.
He lived in Denver, Colorado from 1896-1912. Pinkham was ordained a Baptist minister but joined the American Unitarian Association in 1912. His outspoken opposition to U.S. involvement in World War I led him to join the Fellowship of Reconciliation. He also served as secretary of the Association to Abolish War from 1920-1927. The Association was a pacifist group committed to standing firm against the "preparedness" movement of the times. The papers include the writings and correspondence of Henry Winn Pinkham that relate to his anti-war activities along with biographical materials on Pinkham and his wife, Wenona Osborne Pinkham.
He began his law career in Denver, Colorado and was Professor of Law at Howard University School of Law from 1946-1955. He also served as Special Assistant to the Solicitor of Labor, 1956-1959; Director of the Office of Regulations at the Bureau of Labor-Management Reports, 1959-1962; and Assistant Commissioner of the Bureau, 1962-1963. Jenkins concentrated on eliminating racial discrimination in labor unions and establishing national labor policy that held discrimination on basis of sex or race was unfair labor practice. He was instrumental in drafting and passing the "Landrum-Griffin" Act of 1959, a labor reform document known as "Employees' Bill of Rights." The papers contain correspondence, speeches, oral history transcripts, journals, journal articles, newspaper clippings, books, reports, notebooks, congressional hearings, certificates, diplomas, plaques, photographs, and memorabilia primarily covering Jenkins' service on the U.S. National Labor Relations Board.
James D. (Mike) McKevitt
Contact Special Collections & Archives (email@example.com or 303-871-3428). The James D. (Mike) McKevitt Collection contains material related to his term as U. S. Representative from Colorado from 1970 to 1972.
John Arthur Love (1916-2002) was governor of Colorado from 1962-1973. His gubernatorial terms saw increases in spending for education and pollution control, as well as the first state law legalizing abortion, and a "sunshine law", (cont.)
which opened government meetings to the public. After leaving the governorship, he became Director of the Office of Energy Policy under President Richard M. Nixon. He later served as CEO and Director of the Denver-based Ideal Basic Industries, taught history at the University of Northern Colorado, and served as a trustee of the University of Denver. The papers of John A. Love consist primarily of materials and correspondence related to his campaigns for governor of Colorado in 1962, 1966, and 1970 and his involvement with the Republican Governors Association. It also includes personal correspondence, documents and political correspondence relating to his terms in office and to the 1964 presidential election, and research publications on Colorado politics and demographics.
John C. Livingston Papers
John Charles Livingston (1935-1999) served as professor and chair of the History Department of the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado from 1963-1964 and from 1968-1999. (cont.)
His areas of expertise were United States intellectual and social history in the 20th century, concentrating on the 1960s and American Jewish history. He wrote several books including, Clarence Darrow: Sentimental Rebel (1988) and Jews of the American West (1989). He was a founder and research director of the Rocky Mountain Historical Society & the Ira M. Beck Archives. Livingston was also on the Board of Trustees of The American Jewish Historical Society from 1987-1990. His papers contain correspondence, lecture notes and readings for classes, book manuscripts, bibliographies, contracts, curriculum guides, book reviews, and articles. Also included are notes, papers and final exams from Livingston's education as well as photographs, audiocassettes, and videocassettes.
Leslie W. Scofield Papers
Leslie W. Scofield served as professor of history at the University of Denver, Denver, Colo. He established the Archives for the University of Denver in 1959 under the auspices of Stuart Baillie, (cont.)
director of the University of Denver libraries. Scofield served as the first University Archivist. Scofield's papers cover the history of Colorado Seminary, 1864-1868 and the University of Denver. The collection includes materials on the original trustees, chancellors including John Evans and Henry A. Buchtel, faculty and staff, as well as the Central City Opera House Association. The collection contains the charter for the Colorado Seminary as well as speeches, maps, biographical sketches, manuscripts, photographs, minutes, and newspaper clippings.
Lyle Wesley Dorsett Papers
Lyle Wesley Dorsett (1938- ) served as Professor of History at the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado from 1972-1983, specializing in urban history. He earned his Ph.D. in history from the University of Missouri in 1965. (cont.)
His dissertation on the political machine of Kansas City, Missouri Alderman Jim Pendergast was published in 1968 under the title The Pendergast machine. He taught at the University of Missouri, The University of Southern California and the University of Colorado at Denver before joining the University of Denver faculty. He wrote The Queen City: a History of Denver (1977) and The Pioneer Western Bank: First of Denver, 1860-1980. Students in Dorsett's classes at the University of Denver conducted interviews with people knowledgeable about the history of Denver and of Colorado. These interviews served as background for books and articles. In 1983 he accepted a position at the Marion E. Wade Center at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Ill. A large portion of his writings from this time center on the life and philosophy of C.S. Lewis, which is one of the Wade Center's major collections. The papers include notes, research materials, and manuscript for his book, The Queen City: a History of Denver; clippings, photocopies of journal articles, newspapers, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, photographs, a diary, scrapbook, annual reports, releases, oral history transcripts, audio cassette tapes, and microfilm.
Macy and Chapman Families Papers
Carole Louise Chapman Macy (Mrs. Donald Oliver Macy) compiled the family histories of the Chapman and the Macy families (from whom her husband, Donald Oliver Macy, was descended). (cont.)
He also served as U.S. Representative from Colorado for the Second District from 1961-1963. In 1946, Dominick and his family moved from Connecticut to Colorado, where Dominick joined the Denver law firm of Holland and Hart as a partner. Sen. Dominick served on the Republican Policy Committee and he was the ranking minority member of the Education Subcommittee of the Labor and Public Welfare Committee. He was an advocate for giving tax credits for higher education, and he was instrumental in moving the Head Start program from the Office of Economic Opportunity to the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. Sen. Dominick also was involved in the development of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. During his tenure in Congress he made two trips to Vietnam and Southeast Asia as a member of the Armed Services Committee. His papers consist primarily of materials from his years in the U.S. Senate and include record vote analyses, correspondence, photographs, newsletters, radio scripts, press releases, newspaper clippings, reports, audio cassette tapes, 16 mm. films, voicewriter tapes, a dictaphone recording, and L.P. sound recordings.
The book covers Jewish history, people and organizations in Colorado. The papers relate to the writing of the book, Exploring Jewish Colorado, and include correspondence, questionnaires, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, manuscript drafts, galley proofs, photocopies of photographs and illustrations from the book, and a computer disk. Newspaper clippings cover Jewish synagogues in Colorado, as well as the Guldman, Friedman and Londoner families.
Raymond Carey (1901-1972), professor of history at the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado from 1945 to 1971, conducted research on the massacre at Sand Creek, Colorado, which took place on November 29, 1864. (cont.)
In this battle, the troops of the Colorado Third Volunteer Regiment, commanded by Colonel John M. Chivington, attacked a group of 500 Cheyenne and Arapahoe Indians who were encamped on the banks of the Sand Creek, about 40 miles from Fort Lyon, near the present-day town of Lamar. Over 150 Indians were killed, including many women and children. Although Chivington and his benefactor, Governor John Evans, were lauded as heroes in Denver, where anti-Indian sentiment ran high, the U.S. Congress and the U.S. Army were less impressed, and both launched investigations into the incident. No indictments were made, however, and the incident remains one of the most controversial events in the history of Indian-white relations. The collection contains bibliographies, notes, maps, military records, regimental data, correspondence, journal articles, and copies of photographs related to Carey's research on the 1864 Sand Creek Massacre in Colorado.
George Richardson was the second president of the Colorado Seminary (later named the University of Denver) in Denver, Colorado from 1865-1866. He began his career as a Methodist Episcopal minister and served churches in Denver, (cont.)
Georgetown and Empire, Colorado. He was president of Central Savings Bank from 1896-1903. He served as a delegate to the Charter Convention that gave Denver home rule. The collection consists primarily of genealogic research on the family of George Richardson. The collection includes correspondence, postcards, an address book, recipes, receipts, a history, notes, newspaper clippings, photographs, glass plate negatives, a speech, religious tracts, and diaries. Collected by Charles M. Deardorff and his wife Alice, the daughter of Richardson, the papers also include Deardorff's autobiography, diaries (1861-1864), a diploma, and a stamp collection. Charles Deardorff, a graduate of the University of Denver, married Alice Richardson in 1907. He had a law practice in Denver and was involved in many civic activities.
He authored the Colorado River Basin Project Act of 1968 and played a key role in the 1964 Wilderness Act. His collection at the University of Denver includes congressional office records and files reflecting Aspinall's interests in water, public lands and conservation, service on and chairmanship of the House Committee on Interior and Insular Affairs; the Public Land Review Commission; and service on the Joint Committee on Atomic Energy; correspondence, maps, newspaper clippings, campaign scripts and photographs.
Wolfgang H. J. Yourgrau (1908-1979) served as Professor of History and Philosophy of Science at the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado. He was associated with the University from 1963-1978. (cont.)
He also served as Chair of the Philosophy Department and was a member of the History Department. He earned his Ph.D. in physics from Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in 1932. During World War II, Yourgrau edited an anti-fascist German-language weekly, The Orient. He earned the Einstein Medal in 1970 for his work in the field of general relativity. He was editor of Foundations of Physics, an international periodical he founded with Henry Margenau, Yale physicist and spectroscopy expert. His papers include correspondence, journal articles, journals, speeches, newspaper clippings, press releases, classroom notes, lectures, manuscripts of articles, transcripts of radio broadcasts, photographs, framed paintings, inventory of personal library on slides, reel-to-reel tapes, and academic regalia.
Collections from the Ira M. and Peryle H. Beck Memorial Archives Located at the University of Denver
He served as Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of University of Colorado Medical School, and conducted research at the Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research. He was instrumental in founding the Neighborhood Health Program in 1965. He was manager of the Denver Department of Health and Hospitals and also served as director of Davis Institute for the Care and Study of the Aging. From 1980-1981, he managed New York City Health and Hospitals Corp. He was named Goodstein Professor of Medicine and Geriatrics at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, He also served as President of Denver Club. In 1987 the Kauvar Foundation, which specializes in health care needs of the elderly was established in his honor. He was the son of Rabbi Charles E.H. Kauvar, a Denver religious leader.
Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith, Mountain States Regional Office Records
Contact Special Collections & Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-871-3428). The National Anti-Defamation League (ADL) of B'nai B'rith was founded in 1913 by Sigmund Livingston, an Illinois lawyer and scholar. The purpose of the ADL is to fight prejudice and intolerance and to preserve the Jewish democratic heritage. (cont.)
A volunteer committee under the auspices of B'nai B'rith Lodge 171, (Denver, Colo.), led by Simon Heller, preceded the establishment of the formal organization of the Anti-Defamation League, Mountain States Regional office. This committee represented every facet of Jewish life in the community. The formal organization of the ADL was established in 1941 as the tri-state office of the ADL, with Harold Saks as the first director. The purpose of the Denver chapter was to work toward the elimination of discrimination in employment, housing, accommodations and education.
Her father and his brothers were businessmen who owned and operated apparel stores in Aspen, including the Kobey Shoe and Clothing Company. After she graduated from Aspen High School, Dorothy Kobey taught at a county school in Cow Creek, Colorado, outside Steamboat Springs. She moved to Denver, Colorado with her siblings in 1924 to attend the University of Denver after receiving a scholarship to the school. In 1927 she married Nathan Berry, a salesman who worked at her uncle's downtown Denver business, the Kobey Shoe Store. The papers document Jewish family life in Aspen, Colorado during the early 1900s. The papers contain newspaper and magazine articles, 1 photographic print, family tree charts and a CD-ROM that contains digitized photographs and digitized printed materials, including U.S. census records. The Dorothy (Dokes) Kobey Berry Papers document the growth of businesses in Colorado mountain towns and Jewish social life and customs in Aspen, Colorado during the early 1900s. The Kobey families were among the dozen or so Jewish families in the close-knit mining town of Aspen when Dokes Kobey was growing up. This collection documents Jewish family life, with an emphasis on the lives of Jewish women, in Aspen, Colorado in the early 1900s. Dokes Kobey Berry died in Denver on February 24, 2009.
The Fashion Bar began as a hosiery shop established by Jack Levy in 1933 and managed by his sister Hannah Levy. Born in Haigerloch, Germany, both Hannah, Jack with their brother Edward, emigrated to America in the 1920s. (cont.)
Jack started as a traveling salesman and Hannah as a shop girl in Denver, Colorado working for Neusteter's Department Store, before opening their own store which evolved into the Fashion Bar Corporation. Despite the Great Depression, the enterprise flourished and within three years it grew to five clothing stores that were later named Fashion Bar. In 1940, Jack and Hannah Levy bought out their partner and took full control of the business. They brought William Weil on board as manager and later he became president of the company. Records of the Fashion Bar include scrapbooks, photographs, newspaper clippings, drawings, financial records, memorabilia and correspondence.
Independent Order of B'nai B'rith Lodge #171 (Denver, Colo.) Records
Contact Special Collections & Archives (email@example.com or 303-871-3428). The Independent Order of B'nai B'rith Lodge 171, Denver, Colorado, was the primary Jewish philanthropic and social service organization in Denver from 1872 through World War II. (cont.)
This fraternal organization received a charter from the National Order of B'nai B'rith on April 7, 1872. David Kline was the first president and Louis Anfenger was the first secretary. Charles M. Schayer served as president in 1876. The B'nai B'rith Denver Chapter created Colorado's Anti-Defamation League, the Mountain States Hillel Foundation, and the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization (BBYO). One of the largest projects of the Denver B'nai B'rith was the establishment of the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives in 1899. The Denver B'nai B'rith continues to be a major Denver organization.
Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society Patient Records
Search for information on a specific patient, or browse all the patient records. A patient inquiry may be done by clicking on a name in an alphabetical list of the patients or through a searchable database.
The Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society was known as the JCRS and was founded in Denver, Colorado in 1904 as a non-sectarian sanatorium to treat tuberculosis (TB) patients, free of charge, in all stages of the disease. (cont.)
The society was one of the leading tuberculosis sanatoria in the country at the turn of the century founded by a group of immigrant Eastern European Jewish men, many of whom were themselves victims of TB. Headed by Dr. Charles Spivak as Secretary (1904-1927)and by Dr. Philip Hillkowitz as President (1904-1948), sanatorium treated primarily Jewish patients (notably, Solomon Bloomgarden who served as publicity chairman). In 1954 institution changed its mission to cancer research and became American Medical Center; in 1970's renamed AMC Cancer Research Center and Hospital. Today known as AMC Cancer Research Center. Records highlight tuberculosis treatment, immigration and acculturation, and the growth and development of Colorado's Jewish community. The collection includes correspondence, patient records, legal & financial records, scrapbooks, visitor registers, periodicals, minutes, committee reports, newspaper clippings, sound discs, and photographs.
Joyce Foster served as a member of the Denver City Council in Denver, Colorado from 1993-2003 representing District 4. She was the first Jewish woman to sit on the City Council and served as City Council President from 2001 to 2002. (cont.)
She worked on Skate Park and the University Hills Mall renovation. Prior to being elected to City Council, Foster was director of resource development for the Jewish Family and Children's Service from 1977 to 1993. Her husband, Steven Foster, became the longtime rabbi of Denver's Congregation Emanuel. City Councilwoman Joyce Foster's papers highlight her political career from 1993-2003 and include correspondence, newspaper clippings, newsletters, council resolutions, campaign literature, certificates, architectural drawings, and photographs.
The Judd Family papers trace the beginnings of the Judd Construction Company under Abraham Judelowitz who arrived in Denver in the 1880s and was instrumental in the building of the first Beth haMedrosh (BMH) Synagogue. (cont.)
His son, Samuel Judd was born in Denver in 1892 and served as chief of the Structural-Architectural Section of the Bureau of Reclamation in the 1940's and was Denver Building Inspector in 1963. Samuel Judd helped build the first Hebrew Educational Alliance Building and the Gaylord Street BMH building. Records focus on the Judd Construction Company founded in 1949 under Edmund James Judd. The collection primarily centers on the Judd Construction Company job files on major building projects in Denver from 1950 through 1991. Judd was also a founder and past president of Historic Denver, Inc. The papers of the Judd Family and the Judd Corporation concentrate on the construction industry in Denver, Colorado. Includes legal documents, advertising, financial statements, checkbooks, bids on construction jobs, blueprints, correspondence, diaries, newspaper clippings, photographs, an audiotape, appointment books, and scrapbooks.
Leopold H. Guldman and Golden Eagle Dry Goods Company Records
Contact Special Collections & Archives (firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-871-3428). Leopold H. Guldman (1853-1936) founded the Golden Eagle Dry Goods Company of Denver in 1879, eight years after his arrival from his native Germany. He was one of Colorado's leading pioneer merchants and philanthropists. (cont.)
By the late 1870s he had come to the Colorado mountains in search of silver, but found it more profitable to open the Golden Eagle Clothing stores in Leadville and Cripple Creek, Colorado. In 1879, he moved to Denver and opened the third and most successful Golden Eagle store. This store was Denver's leading popular-price department store for many years. His vigorous advertising campaigns, combined with an aggressive policy of buying and selling for cash only, soon established record sales for him. The rapid growth of the Golden Eagle necessitated continual expansion and remodeling. By 1901, its five-story building occupied most of the block at 16th and Lawrence Streets. The store was closed and the stock liquidated upon Guldman's death in 1936. He donated the first Jewish Community Center, helped found Temple Emanuel, National Jewish Hospital, Beth Israel Hospital, and was a key figure in numerous other charitable endeavors. The records of the Golden Eagle were transferred by Deed of Gift from the University of Colorado Norlin Library to the Beck Archives in 1994. It represents all phases of the company's diversification, including general accounts, purchased and receiving records, sales and shipping records, etc. Although a few of the records extend back into the 1880's, most of the material covers the period from 1900 to 1936. The records are reflective of Denver's economic growth during that period.
Milton Anfenger was an attorney, Colorado state senator, humanitarian, and civic leader in Denver. He graduated from East Denver High School in 1892. He attended Stanford University and graduated with a L.L.B. in 1895. At Stanford, he was a classmate and roommate of Herbert Hoover. Milton Anfenger was admitted to the Colorado Bar Association in 1897. Colonel Milton Louis Anfenger was an aide-de-camp to Colorado Governor James H. Peabody and militia Brigadier General Sherman M. Bell during Colorado's response to the 1903-1904 strike in the Cripple Creek Mining District. Anfenger was elected to the Colorado State Senate in 1904 and served during the fifteenth and sixteenth Colorado general assemblies. He was married to Essie Wolfshon in 1911. A member of Elks Lodge #17, he was elected Exalted Ruler in 1913. He was a member of B'nai B'rith Lodge #171 and served as president for the local lodge as well as treasurer and president of the District Grand Lodge. He was an organizer of the Allied Jewish Council and was active in the Central Jewish Council, Central Jewish Aid Society, and Treasurer of the United Health Appeal Board of the Allied Council. He also served as editor of a Denver newspaper, ''Jewish News'' that concentrated on the activities of the Jewish community in Denver. Anfenger was President of the Denver Bears baseball team from 1923-1932. He was Treasurer of Beth Israel Hospital and President of the National Jewish Hospital Board from 1945-1952. A member of several civic organizations, he was also actively involved in the National Guard, Masons, Odd Fellows, Denver Chamber of Commerce, board member of the Green Gables Country Club, and organizer of the Sons of Colorado. Milton L. Anfenger died December 9, 1952.
it was called the National Home for Jewish Children in Denver; from 1953-1956, it was the Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children in Denver; from 1957-1972, it was the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital (CARIH); and from 1973-1977, it became the National Asthma Center. In 1978, it merged with the National Jewish Hospital to become the National Jewish Hospital/National Asthma Center. It started as a residential treatment facility for children with intractable asthma and became a research hospital. The National Asthma Center records include the By-laws, correspondence, memorandums, newspaper clippings, meeting minutes, publications, charts, speeches, financial statements, photographs and miscellaneous materials.
Most of the early members were members of Temple Emanuel in Denver and the collection details the contributions of women to social causes in Denver. Education was an early priority of the Denver Section and classes were held to serve Eastern European Jewish immigrants in the West Colfax area of Denver. The Council established a settlement house in West Denver for Jewish boys, worked with disabled children and initiated the Children's Traveling Theatre. During World War II, the Council was involved in the resettlement of Jewish refugees in Denver. In 1938 the Council opened a thrift shop at 27th Street and Welton Street in the Five Points area of Denver. The records include board of director meeting minutes, lists of officers and board members, correspondence, financial records, newspaper clippings, newsletters, bulletins, yearbooks, publications, invitations, scrapbooks and oral history audiocassette tapes.
In 1899, the Jewish community erected National Jewish Hospital (NJH), the first sanatorium in Denver, Colorado for tuberculosis victims. With the financial assistance of the International Order of B'nai B'rith, (cont.)
the hospital served Jews and gentiles alike and accepted indigent patients free of charge. The NJH adopted a program that emphasized the benefits of fresh air, good nutrition, and rest. Some of the physicians associated with the hospital included Dr. Saling Simon, Dr. Robert Levy, and Dr. John Elsner. The collection includes correspondence, limited patient records, minutes, financial statements, reports, scrapbooks, and objects from 1899 to 2007. Non-sectarian sanatorium for treatment of tuberculosis opened in 1899 in Denver, Colo. Patients from all over the U.S. were admitted free of charge. With the assistance of the national B'nai B'rith fraternal organization, the hospital was founded by group of Jewish residents of Denver who were of German descent. Early founders included Frances Wisebart Jacobs and Rabbi William Friedman of Denver's Congregation Emmanual. Samuel Grabfelder served as president from 1899-1920; Seraphine Pisko was executive secretary from 1911-1938. In 1997 the organization changed its name to National Jewish Medical and Research Center and focused on lung, allergic and immune diseases. Meeting minutes, annual reports, correspondence, limited patient records, financial records, scrapbooks, photographs and sound discs cover tuberculosis treatment, medical history, immigration and acculturation, Colorado's Jewish community and women's history.