The Chinese Recorder and the Protestant Missionary Community in China, 1867-1941.
In 1867, in an effort to keep their colleagues informed about their activities, the Protestant missionaries began the Missionary Recorder at the Methodist Press in Foochow. The Missionary Recorder lasted only a year, but the work had begun; in May 1868 the Chinese Recorder and Missionary Journal was started, also at the Methodist Press in Foochow, by the Rev. S. L. Baldwin (American Methodist Episcopal Mission). The Rev. Justus Doolittle (American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions) joined Baldwin as coeditor in June 1869, and the publication continued through the end of May 1872 when it ceased.